MENU

------------------------------------------------------

Expozine! First showing of my work!

Well it came and went, and I am all the better for it!

My set-up

Expozine.  A small press expo here in Montreal.  It's for anyone who writes or produces some sort of reading material to come and share with, and try to sell to the public.  There were dark, sci-fi comics , light, lovely poem books, kids comics ;)  historical fiction comics, x-rated fan fiction zines, and mini-autobiography books.  There was also other art like handmade silkscreen posters, prints of photos, art pins, collector cards of the artists at the show, and even an older woman doing wonderful needlework for the illustrations of her zines!  There is a lot of creative, talented people in this town, and it supports a big part of the reason I wanted to come here!

I met some really cool people, and hope to see them again!  It's always inspiring to be around other artists who really seem to have a passion for their work.  It's refreshing, and motivating!  Doing something like the Expozine makes me feel like there is a community of artists out there, and one that I can jive with.  Sometimes that's a hard thing to realize as an artist when you spend most your time face in your work, and most the rest of the time in your own head!

I mean look at all these people!
Also note the very "friendly"seating arrangement for the tablers. :)

My score for the weekend!
I traded half of what I got rid of at the show with other artists, and got some sweet stuff I can't wait to get into!  The other half went to lovely people who seemed generally happy to take one of my kawmix.  Let me tell you, there's nothing more pleasing than when someone not only likes what you do, and wants to read it, but is also willing to give you money for it!!  Although someone just enjoying it for what it is is just as pleasing!


To my left was a rotating cast of college kids
 giving away their literary arts magazine.
  All of them, and their many friends that showed up were
 either hungover, extremely tired, or felt like "floating away".
  Also check out my sweet banner a friend of mine
 made for me!! Thanks Jason!!



Oh, and the kids came by to help.. and draw.  They actually sold a couple comics, too!

 Opal has made her own comic, and she sold a few copies of it!  I'm so proud of her.  And although it was fun having them there, behind the table was only enough room for one, and my legs were dead after an hour of being chairs!  :D


In the end, I spent a whole week stressing about getting good prints of my kawmix, making them, and setting up a table, and even though I only sold maybe 15 comics, it was all worth it!  I can't wait till' the next event!


I'd also like to add that I have some leftover kawmix.  If you'd like one or two, or them all, shoot me an email, I'd love to send one your way!
 I know I've put them online to read for free, but these are nice laser prints on a good paper.  Plus, I know from experience, they're good to leave around for the kids to just pick up and look at and read to themselves!

Thanks friends and family for being my support, and motivation!

~Kaleb

Solly drawing in one of the poetry zines I traded for.


2 comments:

  1. So proud of you son! Sounds like you've also got the 'craft show' bug that my family has had for some time. It IS fun to see others enjoying your art/craft/invention and even better to be paid for it. I am looking forward to hearing more of these types of adventures for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've got two craft shows coming up! Both for schools for Christmas. Can't wait to be selling directly to the kids!

    ReplyDelete